about killeavy castle
The Killeavy Castle, a Grade A listed historical building in County Armagh, sits majestically on the slopes of Slieve Gullion and is the centrepiece of a historic estate comprising 350 acres of farmland and woods.
The castle was designed in 1836 by architect George Papworth of Dublin. Formally Killeavy Lodge, the Foxall family had their home rebuilt in the style of the pre-Victorian Gosford Castle. Towers, Tudoresque windows and a medieval style door transformed the modest farmhouse into a home fit for a king. Situated on the eastern base of Slieve Gullion, the castle and surrounding grounds brought a new element to the beautiful landscape.
The building contained a basement level with a kitchen, store rooms, servant's quarters and underground tunnels to allow servants to enter and exit the building unseen. Above was a parlour and wine cellar, with an adjoining drawing room, library and conservatory. On the top level were six bedrooms, 4 dressing rooms and bathrooms with hot and cold water. There was a beautiful walled garden and ornamental water wheel.
The Bell family took ownership of the property in 1881, but in recent years the building has fallen into disrepair and decay. Fortunately, the facade remains intact and the building is still surrounded by fir plantations and lush farmland. Killeavy Castle and Estate have become part of South Armagh's heritage, and we hope to see it returned to it's former glory soon!
George Papworth (1781-1855) was the younger brother of English architect John Buonarotti Papworth. He established himself in Ireland and has designed many notable buildings including Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital and the King's Bridge in Dublin. His drawings of Killeavy were exhibited in the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1836.