Our History

Every place has its own spirit

Killeavy Castle Estate is a rare place that can bestow an uncommon and precious gift – the feeling of having the world all to yourself. Shrouded by the dense woodlands on the Ring of Gullion, the music of bird song and the whispers of ancient memories caress the air. Where nature walks hand in hand with history, you’ll unlock the door to Killeavy Castle Estate.

Killeavy Castle is a Grade A listed historical building originally designed in 1836 by architect George Papworth of Dublin. Formally known as Killeavy Lodge, the Foxall family had their home rebuilt in the style of the pre-Victorian Gosford Castle with towers, tudor windows and a medieval style door transforming the modest farmhouse into a home fit for a king.

Situated on the eastern base of Slieve Gullion, the original castle and surrounding grounds brought a new element to the beautiful landscape. The building contained a basement level with a kitchen, store rooms, servant's quarters and underground tunnel to allow servants to enter and exit the building unseen. Above was a parlour and wine cellar, with an adjoining drawing room, library and conservatory. On the top level were six bedrooms, four dressing rooms and bathrooms. There was a beautiful walled garden and ornamental water wheel.

The Bell family took ownership of the property in 1881, but in recent years the building fell into disrepair. Fortunately, the facade remained intact and, surrounded by fir plantations and lush farmland, it has been returned to its former glory.

The Architect

George Papworth (1781-1855) was the younger brother of English architect John Buonarotti Papworth. He established himself in Ireland and designed many notable buildings including Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital and the King's Bridge in Dublin. His drawings of Killeavy were exhibited in the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1836.

Killeavy’s Journey From Family Home to Historic Hotel

We are proud to have brought a stunning piece of architectural heritage and Northern Ireland history back from the brink of ruin. When we took ownership of Killeavy Castle Estate, we saw its incredible potential, and decided to restore it to its former glory.

Our mission was to fully restore Killeavy Castle Estate, so that locals and visitors alike could enjoy it for generations to come. In 2019, we opened the Killeavy Castle to the public as a historic hotel, wedding venue, spa and visitor attraction.

Since then, we have welcomed countless visitors from around the world. Guests flock to our Estate to appreciate our meticulously restored 19th century Castle, manicured gardens, unspoiled woodlands, and authentic working farm.

Killeavy Castle Estate Today

Today, the Killeavy Castle Estate comprises our 19th century Castle, a four star boutique style Hotel with 45 guestrooms in our restored Mill and Coach House, and a three guestroom luxury self catering Gatelodge

Our guests can also enjoy our fine dining restaurant, casual bar, onsite café and luxury spa facilities. Comfort and class are our guiding principles, bringing the opulence of days gone by to everyone who visits our Estate.

Call Location Offers Vouchers Book