Every place has its own spirit
Killeavy Castle Estate is a rare place that can bestow an uncommon and precious gift – the feeling of having the world all to yourself. Shrouded by the dense woodlands on the Ring of Gullion, the music of bird song and the whispers of ancient memories caress the air. Where nature walks hand in hand with history, you’ll unlock the door to Killeavy Castle Estate.
Killeavy Castle is a Grade A listed historical building originally designed in 1836 by architect George Papworth of Dublin. Formally known as Killeavy Lodge, the Foxall family had their home rebuilt in the style of the pre-Victorian Gosford Castle with towers, tudor windows and a medieval style door transforming the modest farmhouse into a home fit for a king.
Situated on the eastern base of Slieve Gullion, the original castle and surrounding grounds brought a new element to the beautiful landscape. The building contained a basement level with a kitchen, store rooms, servant's quarters and underground tunnel to allow servants to enter and exit the building unseen. Above was a parlour and wine cellar, with an adjoining drawing room, library and conservatory. On the top level were six bedrooms, four dressing rooms and bathrooms. There was a beautiful walled garden and ornamental water wheel.
The Bell family took ownership of the property in 1881, but in recent years the building fell into disrepair. Fortunately, the facade remained intact and, surrounded by fir plantations and lush farmland, it has been returned to its former glory.
George Papworth (1781-1855) was the younger brother of English architect John Buonarotti Papworth. He established himself in Ireland and designed many notable buildings including Sir Patrick Dun's Hospital and the King's Bridge in Dublin. His drawings of Killeavy were exhibited in the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1836.